Friday, June 18, 2010

The Moment of Truth

I had the whole thing mapped out in my head; my blog announcement of my move to NY despite a lack of job. A scary and exciting prospect that has me leaving many loved ones behind. I had the explanation of why and how I could afford to do this and the confident ending that stated, “I’m not the type of girl who turns away from my fears. And while this move is scary there are so many adventures and experiences to look forward to, so I will step onto that plane with confidence and looking towards my future”.

Which is exactly what I did.

Yeah… that’s right… did.

I got off the plane to Long Island (2 hours of driving away from where I need to be – thanks free ticket touting step-dad) with two giant suitcases and a handful of things at 3:55PM yesterday. Of course, even a 2 hour drive tuned into a 5 hour journey with traffic and dinner in the mix. My explanation for the move is simple; I needed to do it. I have a far better chance of getting interviews and meeting the right people here in NY than down in Orlando, FL. The how: I have a free plane ticket and a friend who needs someone to pay half the rent. I was going to drive up in my original plans, after the realization that the move was possible, but some people talked me out of that. So all I have with me is two giant suitcases full of clothes and small knickknacks.


I’m going to be living on a air mattress for a little while and looking for an interim job as well as a start to my career. If I’m lucky, maybe I can get an unpaid internship during the day and work somewhere part time at night. If I’m super lucky, I’ll get the perfect entry-level career starter right off the bat and be exactly where I need to be. Right place. Right time.

It certainly seems like even taking this small step forward towards this place has opened up a few avenues that weren’t previously available already. Like the unpaid internship option. Even the process of getting from MacArthur Airport to Jersey City (where I’ll be living) opened up some new contacts. Apparently, I have more friends than I thought up here. Friends of friends and contacts of people I know have been flowing in since I made the decision to move. It seems that everyone I know knows someone up here and they’ve all offered to help me out.

The experience is a humbling one.

The next step is to settle in then start the search.

No comments:

Post a Comment