Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Idiocracy Eminent?

The WSJ had an interesting article about the reading habits of young boys. The article, written by Thomas Spence, talks about publishing companies that are meeting boys at their level with all the gross stuff that boys like. Spence claims that this can be detrimental to their education in the sense that if we continue to meet them at their level we’ll end up with a society like that of the movie “Idiocracy” (I’m exaggerating but not really). If you are not familiar with the reference, I suggest renting the movie. It’s a little painful to watch, what with the stupid humor and all, but it does have an underlying point.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

The classics used to engage children of the male sex just fine, Spence wrote (I’m paraphrasing obviously) until one colossal event happened that changed history forever… the videogame. Now, it is very true that the videogame is a disruptive technology and yes, because boys are not only the target market for videogames but also the largest group of consumers, boys have been known to spend their lives playing videogames. But I would like to argue that there is a type of videogame that could be used to increase reading. It’s an RPG (Role Playing Game). The newer versions have pretty much every character voiced, but in my time we had to read those things. The entire storyline was read on the screen. You had to talk with people to find out where you needed to go next, or just to get additional story, but you read it. All of it.

Am I reaching in my defense of the videogame. A little. But I’m not wrong.

I’ve said all throughout my growing years that videogames could be the next books. I just never figured out how. But with technology growing, there must be a way to integrate the two. I mean, we can get entire books on our cell phones now for gosh sakes. Plus, the next generation will be ever more reliant on technology than mine is.

I don’t think printed books will or should ever go away, but I do think that some disruptive technology in regards to books is needed. Especially for children. If videogames are what interests’ boys, let them play something that can help them along with their reading. That and limit their play time.

Whatever choice is made… I have to agree with Spence, meeting them at their level is only going to work for so long.



Read up on the article below:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704271804575405511702112290.html

No comments:

Post a Comment