Friday, October 1, 2010

Printed Magazines

I want to start this out by saying; I’m not a magazine subscriber. I hate having them around the house. They just sit there. I keep them because I tell myself that I’ll get to the article I want to read eventually, but I never do. I end up throwing them out half a year later unread and then I feel dirty for wasting the paper like that. There can never be too many trees.

However, the one type of magazine I love to have around the house is interior design magazines. I have cut outs of everything I like and might someday own if I had a house. Now, that does mean that if there is a magazine in my living space then there may be some pictures missing here and there, maybe a page or two. But it’s literally the only type of magazine I will sit down with immediately to look at. My favorite is “Southern Living” (I mean who doesn’t love that one?). My future home collection is made from mostly that and catalogue cutouts.

There has been a lot of talk recently that many of the things we are used to, such as books and newspapers, are going out of print. Now, books going out of print – that’s just silly. I mean that won’t happen until YEARS from now. And even at that, I don’t think that they will ever really go away, I just think that the default will be digital. There’s a whole book about it by my technology management professor at Crummer that talks about this trend; it’s called “The Future of Less” by Allen Kupetz. A little ironic isn’t it. There’s a book about going digital. It makes me giggle.

Anyway, while out I perused a magazine that had a brief one page thing in the October issue of “Real Simple” about why magazines would not be going out of print anytime soon. The reason: “magazines do what the internet doesn't”.

What their saying is that magazines create brand loyalty by providing what the internet articles can't, and that is time. "Neither obsessed with immediacy nor trapped by the daily news cycle, magazines promote deeper connections. They create relationships."

The one page blurb also states that magazines are still the number one medium for driving sales. And I can believe that because hey – I started by telling you that I have cut out of things I want for my future not-yet existent house. So, in case you were worried about your favorite magazine going out of print or your collection of cutouts staying small. No worries.

Special note: I love fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment