Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Publisher's Marketplace

Ok, so in my fit of lazy, I never got around to following up on any of my resumes. I did however find a moment, because I don’t have it in me to be completely unproductive, to look through the publisher’s marketplace job site. In comparison to the other sites I’ve used, this one is by far better. Don’t get me wrong, the other sites are great if I’m looking for something specific in a bigger publishing house; which, if you’ve read my past postings, I am. However, I like the various opportunities that this new site provides me.

There were publishing companies I had never heard of before. Upon some research into the companies, I realized that they were independent. One biggest difference between independent and the big houses, independent seems to ask up front for people who can provide ideas for stories. Now, I know his is a common practice in many publishers, but I thought it interesting that it was in the job description to have ideas for books, the particular job I’m referring to was for a children’s book section. I’ll be honest, I don’t think I can deal with the pressure of coming up with an idea for a book unless I’m following through with it. Control issues. To clarify though, I know I would automatically come up with ideas and gladly share them with people, but for that to be demanded upon me… my mind blanks. And if I do come up with something, if it’s not in a brainstorm session, and I’ve spent time thinking about it, I would have some trouble handing it over for someone else to write. Of course, I’m so detailed oriented and tend to complicate stories that it’s probably not a good idea for me to try to write small children books.

My own five book series is so complex that I have a giant notebook dedicated to it as well as more than a few word documents. I’m all about foreshadowing and setting things up. Every action has a reaction and that reaction isn’t always immediate.

Anyway, I’ve sent out three resumes today within a period of an hour; all with independent publishers. A couple of those jobs were for literary agent assistant positions. I’ve entertained the idea previously of becoming an agent, and when reading the job description it seems like it would be a good fit as well. I simply haven’t ever applied for a job like that because I haven’t seen any openings for it. That’s a big plus for this site, it seems to have a lot of openings for positions that I thought simply weren’t hiring right now. We’ll see how it goes.

From this one usage today I can tell you, the publisher’s marketplace, has earned its place as my number one resource for jobs. I’ve even signed up for the newsletter, which I hate doing, because who needs more things you’re not going to read? But with this, I think I might actually use it. Yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment