Sunday, March 28, 2010

Remiss

I can explain. I have been remiss on updating my progress in the whole job search area and here’s why, I haven’t been doing all I can. I haven’t the time. I have five classes this semester, with exactly 3 weeks left of school. This means that every final project is due within these last 3 weeks. The toughest one, my business policy class (a 6 week course); the “capstone” course of Rollins. In a “capstone” course we are required to put everything we’ve ever learned into one project, as if we haven’t been doing so already, and that project is a business plan. Now, some of you may be thinking, well, you aren’t doing it alone so it shouldn’t be that much work. You some, would be wrong. It’s a lot more work than even a marketing plan. One thing slowing us down - we are working with people we’ve never worked with before, so we must get acclimated to each other very quickly. The other thing -there’s a LOT of work that goes into starting a business. And that’s what we are doing. We are “starting” a green business. One that runs green not simply produces green.

Any time I’m not working on school work is mental health breaks. I work on school work, Saturday –Wednesday. I try to take Thursday and Friday off because that’s when my boyfriend has his days off from work, but as I have a class Friday morning, some school creeps in there as well. But I’m a firm believer that mental health is very important to a worker. My first year at Rollins we had a week between semesters; the quality of the work the entire class produced was far below that of the first semester and the following ones, simply because we didn’t have time for our brains to rest. Now, you might be thinking, but in the real world you don’t have breaks like that. No, but neither do you take work home with you unless you choose to. Now, now, I know that in some professions you may think you have no choice, but you do. You have a choice to be in that profession. If I’m working in a publishing house, let’s say as an editorial assistant, and I need to take some manuscripts home to read… I’d be ok with that, because I love to read. And I suspect that you can tell if a story will do well by the first couple of chapters. But reading is not taxing on me. If I had to be in academia the rest of my life and bring home homework to do all the time; let’s be honest – it’s not going to get done. But as my JOB I can choose to leave and find something that motivates me. As a student, I can’t. Therefore, mental health breaks. Everyone gets them really, they’re called the weekend, I simply take mine in the middle of the week so I can spend it with my love.

Anyway, with all of this stuff going on, it leaves me with limited time to job search. However, I attempt at least one application every day. The catch - new jobs aren’t always posted every day. On days when I don’t have class, I attempt to follow up on resumes if I have no new applications. And every day I attempt to read up on trends and such to see if perhaps there is something more I can bring to the industry. So yes, I’ve been remiss, but I have a reason.

Who decided to give us a class like business policy the last half of our final semester anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment