Wednesday, October 27, 2010

My Reverse Application

Anyone who has ever searched for a job will tell you it’s hard. They all have an opinion about it too. It’s all about who you know. Just keep at it. Quality over quantity.

I created this blog to talk about my journey into the publishing world. One thing I've steered far away from is the hardship of finding that place. Honestly, before now I wasn't sure how to phrase it so that I seemed continuously hopeful. But sometimes it feels like hope is, in fact, lost.

It’s the nature of the beast.

I am talking about this now because I have been going through a beasty phase recently. My most recent best hope for breaking in fell through. Discouragement about my future is kinda a given.

But I have an amazing supportive boyfriend who always tries to lift me up from my beasty times. And he sent me a link that gave me an idea (hence this entry).

The Link? The reverse application by Andrew Horner.

On this site there is a detailed description of what this guy is looking for in an employer and an application for the company representative to fill it out. Genius!

Now, while I may be done talking about what I want to do and ready to get in there and do it. I am not ready to completely rely on Andrew’s strategy, which is to sit back and let employers come to him.

I have no idea if this worked for the man. For all I know, he is still sitting at home waiting for someone to fill it out - living with his mother because he has no money to pay rent. Moms are awesome.

Or he could be working for the company of his dreams, in the job he wants and making millions. Like I said; I have no idea. But the idea struck me as brilliant - I mean why shouldn't I also create a list of qualities that I am looking for in a company?

So, using Andrew’s site as a template and some of his descriptions as well:

ABOUT ME

I AM:

  • Creative. I am a writer, it’s a given.
  • A leader. Leadership comes in many styles. I am verse in nearly all of them.
  • Willing to tackle tasks outside my comfort zone. This means I like learn new things. Some people call it a lifetime learner.
  • A local and global thinker. I am detail oriented for sure, but I keep a constant eye on long terms goals.
  • Willing to ask questions. Because so many do not, and I find you learn so much from asking.

I AM NOT:

  • A robot. I am an individual with my own thoughts, opinions, and ideas. And I will let you know them.
  • A mercenary. There are jobs I am not willing to do for money alone. I have to be happy with my daily life.
  • Opposed to relocating. I will go where I need to for a great job. Just give me some warning please.
 ABOUT YOU
YOU MUST:
  • Be passionate about your industry and your work. If you don’t love what you do every day, then why should you expect me to?
  • Be flexible. Stand out in your industry, by changing with it. Be open to new ideas and try a few new things.
  • Believe in ethics and helping the community. I like to help others, help me to help them.

YOU SHOULD:

  • Have a sense of humor. It’s important to laugh with others.
  • Encourage me to make new friends. Networking opportunities will help me grow and ensure that my ideas stay fresh. “
  • Take risks: consumer trends require companies to think outside the box and try things no one else has before.

So there you have it. The main qualities I am looking for in a company.

As I said before I am not willing to rely on this tactic in order to find a job. However, I’m also not opposed to employers contacting me if they happen to see this and feel the need to hire me immediately… my email is pretty easy to figure out LisaWicks01(at)gmail(dot)com.



1 comment:

  1. I really like that idea, but see it more practical as, a cover page. I can personally say that many potential employees do not send cover letters with their resume, so I really see this as a unique way of making yourself stand-out. Possibly in the form of a simple resume or maybe an intricate portfolio. Either way uniqueness is key.

    One of the many things that other job seekers don't do is follow up interview emails. It is proper business etiquette to thank your interviewer by, sending an email or card to briefly thank them for their time, consideration. Thus not only letting them now you are interested in the opportunity, it also shows character.

    Example: Potential employer has narrowed their results to just two individuals. What makes their decision for them? The one that stands-out by sending a follow-up email or card.

    ReplyDelete